The company has origins in the 1920s, in Piraeus, as a coffee retail company by three brothers. In 1928 the company officially was founded and in 1932 opened a coffee house at the center of Athens and one in Thessaloniki. In 1938 opened also the infamous coffee house on Stadiou Street which soon became a meeting place of intellectuals and artists.